If you have limited space in your house, you should consider building upwards. That is the concept of building a loft, which you can construct in a corner of your house. You can use the loft as a spare sleeping area, for storage, or for having fun with friends.
The most important step in loft construction is to plan and measure your available space. The parts of the loft are: a frame usually made of 2x4s, a plywood platform set on top of the frame, and 4×4′ posts to support your platform, which is raised several feet in the air. The size and shape of the loft depends on the dimensions of your room. You can build a rectangular or an L-shaped one. As long as you have a high ceiling, you can construct a loft to suit your purpose.
- One or Two boxes of deck screws
- 3/4″ plywood
- Joint braces
- A good circular saw
- A good power drill/screwdriver
- Tape measure
- A vacuum for cleaning up sawdust
- A Hammer
Steps to Build Loft
- Build the frame first. Measure the 2×4′s and cut them down to the proper size using a saw. Use deck screws to assemble the perimeter of the frame. Use two 2×4’s for the outermost perimeter of the frame and single 2×4’s for the crossmembers. Then brace the longest section joint braces.
- Hoist the frame in the air and screw the 4×4′s in to keep it up there. The help of your friends will come in handy.
- When the 4x4s are in place, put the plywood on the top to finish the loft. Screw the plywood into the frame and the 4x4s.
- If you built the loft in a corner, a wall or two will prevent it from wobbling in one direction. Brace the other two posts to the ground to keep them steady. You can use a diagonal section of 2×4’s screwed to the posts.
- When your loft is finished, you can cover the platform with carpets and bring your friends up there. If it is high enough, you can attach a chin-up bar. You can also build shelves between the posts.
Filed Under: Building
About the Author: