Creating a cover for your home’s patio will definitely complete this part of your property. Here are the things you need to do in building a patio cover.
Materials and Tools Needed
Determine the material for your patio cover. PVC, prefabricated aluminum, and wood are the most common materials used.
Prepare the tools you will need. Below are the things you should have for this project:
- Measuring tape
- Socket and shank
- Carpenter’s square
- Nuts and bolts
Steps to Build a Patio Cover
- Once you have decided on the material for your patio cover and you have acquired the tools needed, you have to determine the angle of your roofline and the size of the cover for your patio.
- Set the posts for the cover. You can use a few base weights for this step.
- Take 4×4 posts and align them on the structure’s base. Secure the post to the base using a set of nails.
- Create the support beam. You need to have a companion to help you in this step. Place double 2×12 boards on the roof. Afterwards, cut the ridgeline and set the rafters.
- Take measurements of the metal screening. This normally comes with the materials for the patio cover. Then staple the metal screening to the inside of each block.
- You can now install the patio cover. Again this process requires two people. Set up a rain gutter on the patio cover. This will ensure that excess water during storms will not stay on the cover and damage it. Finally, install any required insulation on the cover’s underside.