To install the gutters, prepare the material and tools you will need. Below is a list of the items you should have for this project.
- Gutter components
- Tape measure
- Caulking gun
- String level
- Chalk line
Steps to Install Gutters
- Determine the location of the gutter
- Examine your home and determine where you want the gutter to be. Figure out how you want the gutter to channel water from your home. You can create a layout plan for this structure.
- Measure the length of the gutter
Measure the distance from the top of your roof to the area where the gutter would end. This will be the total length of the gutter. Always add ten percent to this measurement.
Take the measurement and merge it with the plan for your gutter layout. This will help you determine the other gutter components you will require.
You are now ready to work on your gutter.
- Start at the roof at a certain distance from the downspout. Measure and mark ½ inch from the edge of your roof. Go to the area for the downspout and also measure and mark half an inch from the roof’s edge. Check if the two marks are level with one another.
- Determine the slope needed in order for the water in your gutter to flow to the downspout. Measure the distance from the first mark moving to the downspout. Create a reference line from the two points.
- Set up the gutter components at the points you have marked. Place individual gutter sections on the mounting brackets. Attach the sections together using connectors.
- To prevent water from leaking out from the sections, apply silicon caulk on these areas. Attach an elbow at the end of the drop outlet. Finally, using a set of mounting brackets, attach the downspout to the side of the house.