People who use and access the internet are no longer interested in just browsing or searching. Many people build their own websites and use them as an income source, for entertainment, or even just for the fun of making one. Many profits can be gained from being able to make a website.
Steps to Making a Website
If you want to join the world of website creation, here are the basic steps:
- Decide the purpose of your website. There are many types of websites that one can create. Your website may be all about your business, organization, family, personal interests, or hobbies.
- Web design. Plan what your website will contain, and what it is going to look like. Here, you decide WHAT you want, not how you want it done.
- Domain name registration. Your Domain name or Subdomain name is your internet address. There are website providers that offer free hosting, but usually they will only give you a Subdomain name. There are reasons why you should opt to pay for your own fully registered Domain name. For example, if your website is for business purposes, you want your own Domain name which people will remember.
You can register your Domain name before or after the web design phase.
- Bandwidth and web space requirements analysis. You need to determine your bandwidth allowance (web traffic) and host web space requirements, in megabytes of disk space, so that you can correctly select your host. To compute the web space requirement, the factors are the Expected Site Size (in Pages) and the Average Space Size (in kb).
Web traffic requirement, in gigabytes per month, is computed from the expected number of monthly pageviews and the average page size (in kb).
Part of the analysis is determining how the web pages will be produced and whether or not web authoring software will be required. You can do this yourself if you are familiar with HTML or other software that need to be used. If not, you can hire a consultant who will do it for you.
- Select your web host. There are many available web hosts which offer package plans for storage space, traffic allowances, server side software capabilities and management tools. Selection will be relatively easy after you have calculated your disk space and monthly traffic requirements.
- Web development. This step involves creation of the Web Pages, uploading the webpage to the host, and other procedures. Earlier, you have already decided whether you will do this yourself or hire a consultant to do it for you.
- Promoting your website. Your website is now finished and ready for viewing. You decide whether you will promote it, and have it listed in search engines.
- Website maintenance. Your monthly maintenance tasks include tracking your search engine rankings, testing your site’s links, and checking your site’s load performance.