Bunk beds are practical for a growing family. You can easily construct your own bunk beds.
Tools and Materials Needed
- plywood – 2×4 bits
- plywood – 2×6 bits
- 4×8’ plywood
- carriage type bolts
- 10 nails
- miter saw
- tape measure
Steps to Build a Bunk Bed
- Determine the size of your mattress so that you will know the size of the boxes that you will construct. The usual size is 6.5 feet long and 3.5 feet wide, but measure your mattress to be sure.
- Construct two rectangular boxes with the 2×6” plywood screwed at the ends. This will make disassembling easier in the future.
- Use the 2×4” plywood to provide support inside the box. The blocks should be screwed along the sides and in the middle of the top and bottom ends. It is important to plug all screw holes so that fingers and toes don’t get caught in them.
- When the boxes are ready, position the posts in the four corners of the boxes. Secure them with carriage bolts. The lower bunk should be at least one foot above floor level and the upper one should be four feet above floor level.
- Attach the frames to the posts with nails and reinforce them with carriage bolts.
- Use a thick sheet of plywood for the mattress support. Measure and cut it to fit into the interior of the box, making sure to remove splinters and sharp edges.
- If your children are still small, you will need to put railings so that they will not fall off the bed. Use the 2×4 bits to build rails and insert them inside the frame of each bed. You don’t need to install them permanently because your children will soon outgrow them.