Secret compartments are excellent ways to keep your valuables inconspicuous. They can be hidden in walls, beams, baseboards, mirrors, furniture, bookcases, and even under houseplants. Making secret compartments are not as daunting as it seems. This article shows how to make a secret compartment out of a hardbound book.
- A thick, hardbound book
- Box cutter or a straight edge knife
- Plastic food wrap
Steps to Build Secret Compartments
- Select a thick and hardy book with a hard cover.
- Select as many of the first few pages as you want and secure them to the front cover with a plastic food wrap. These pages will remain intact except for the last one. This will make the book compartment look like an ordinary book when it is opened up. They will also cover the secret compartments.
- Mix a solution of white glue and water. The consistency should be just enough to make it runny and easily absorbed by the edges of the book’s pages.
- Hold together all the remaining pages that you have not selected. Brush its edges with the glue solution to make them stick together.
- Leave the book to dry for 15 to 30 minutes. Slip a sheet of plastic food wrap between the glued pages and the previously selected pages to keep them from sticking together. Put a heavy weight on the front cover to apply some pressure.
- When the book has sufficiently dried, open the book to expose the first glued page. Using a ruler and a pencil, draw a ½-inch border within the edge on all four sides of the page.
- Using a ruler and a box cutter, cut along the inside of the penciled border. Take care to make the cut as vertical as possible.
- Apply just enough pressure to cut a few pages at a time. Do not rush this step to keep the inside edges smooth and straight. Remove the cut pages that have accumulated.
- Brush the inside edges with the glue solution. Allow the solution to soak through. Do not worry about drips because the glue dries clear. Brush a second layer of glue on the pages’ outside edges.
- Brush the frame with a light coating of the glue solution. Stick the saved page on top of the frame.
- Close the book and leave it to dry for 15 to 30 minutes.
- When the book is suitably dry, cut the saved page along the edges of the hole to make the hole visible and accessible. Leave the book open and let it dry thoroughly.
- Make sure that every part of the book is thoroughly dry before placing your valued items inside the compartment. Once you are sure that it has dried, place your valued item inside and close the book. Return the book to the bookshelf.