This rocket works by building up pressure inside a film canister. When the pressure inside the film canister reaches the highest point, it will burst open, sending the rocket blasting in the air. The gases that have built up inside the canister will help the rocket propel as it blasts off – just like a real rocket.
- Several sheets of paper
- Plastic film canister
- Clear packing tape
- Alka-Seltzer tablets
- Paper towels
Making your Rocket
- Mold the shape of your rocket with paper. Fold the paper in half; use one half of the paper as the rocket’s body while divide the other half again in two.
- Use one of the quarters for the nose cone and the other quarter for the fins.
- Fold the fin quarter in two and fold it up diagonally. You must now come up with four triangles from your folds.
- Cut along the folded lines to come up with four fins.
- Sketch out a circle and cut around it to have a nose cone.
- Mark the center of the circle to draw two lines from it at a right angle.
- Cut out a quarter from the circle.
- Take a long sheet of paper and tape it to the canister. Make sure the canister will hang down slightly from the paper’s long edge.
- Roll the paper around the body of the canister.
- Tape the fins on the rocket and roll the circular nose into the shape of a cone.
- Tape the nose cone on top of the rocket.
Preparing for Take Off
- Turn the rocket over and fill the canister with a small amount of water.
- Drop the Alka-Seltzer pills in the canister and close the lid tight.
- Let the rocker stand straight (with its nose cone facing up) and you’re ready for take-off.
You may think that only scientists and engineers can make rockets blast off, but you too, can make your very own rocket with just a few materials and ingredients found at home. A real rocket may require several years to make but making home-made rockets just takes a couple of hours.
The bow and arrow is one of the oldest hunting tool sets in the world. Although it is already becoming outdated, it is still treated as quite a regal weapon. You can make your own bow and arrow with the right instructions and sufficient materials.
- 1 meter hardwood stick (bow)
- Non-stretch string
- Any wood cutting tool
- Straight sticks about 1/2 meter in length (arrows)
- Metal, flint stone or other materials used to make arrow heads
Making the Bow
- Choose a stick for your bow. You can use any kind of wood as long as it is about 1 meter long. The wood should be smooth – free of twists, limbs, or knots.
- Find out the natural curve of the wood that you have chosen.
- Shape the bow. To achieve a strong bow, look for a twig or a piece of wood that has a thick center.
- Cut the notches to hold the string for the bow. The notches should be about 1 to 2 inches from the end of each bow.
- You can use any of the following materials as bow string:
- thin nylon
- hemp cord
- cotton strands
The string does not need to be very stretchy, since the power comes not from the string but from the wood.
Making the Arrow
- Choose the straightest stick that you can find for your arrows. Arrows should be half as long as the bow, so that the bow can be drawn back.
- Shape the arrows by whittling the wood around it. If you need to straighten it, heat its shaft over hot coals and hold it straight as the wood cools down.
- Carve a small notch at the posterior end of the arrow to give space for the bow string.
- Make arrowheads by carving a point on the front of the shaft of the arrow. You can whittle an arrowhead made from metal, glass, stone, or bone. Attach the arrowhead to the tip of the arrow by making a notch in the wood, inserting it into the notch, and securing it with a cord or string.
Worm farming utilizes worms to create compost for use in gardening. Worms help decompose waste material quickly. They create compost which is rich in nutrients that are beneficial to plants.
Steps to Build a Worm Farm
- Prepare your trash such as manure, old kitchen waste, cardboard, cat litter, and others.
- Purchase worms online or from local stores. Canvas for the prices from different worm sellers so that you can get the best deals among them.
- A pound of worms may be equal to about 1000 worms, depending on their size and species.
The most common worms used for worm farms are red worms. You can begin the farm by getting all red worms. Red worms are weight gainers and they are very safe investments. They are known to eat a lot and they will optimize the use of your waste.
If you are a beginner in building a worm farm, do not get too carried away with worm farm accessories. You can deal with them later.
- When you have the worms ready, fill your bins with 25% dirt and 25% compost material. The results of a worm farm may not be seen instantly. Wait for a few weeks before checking the compost for changes.
Your garden will benefit from a worm farm because you will be able to produce fertile soil that will make plants and flowers thrive.
A toga is considered to be one of the outfits that the ancient Romans wore. A toga was worn like a sash wrapped around the body. It was used only by men in the past. Nowadays, togas are used for costume parties or for occasions that call for a classic Romanesque theme. Both men and women can wear them.
Required Tools and Materials for Making a Toga
- 5 to 6 yards of fabric (this is applicable to people with average height; if you are petite, then a 4 yard fabric will do, and if you are tall, you might need about 6 to 7 yards of fabric)
- Safety pins
- Sewing machine/ needle and thread
- Rope or any cloth to tie around the waist
Steps in Making your Toga
- Fold the fabric over at the seams and then sew the folded cloth with a sewing machine or by hand. This step is very important to avoid fraying.
- Before fitting the toga, remove all your clothing except your underwear. You need to do this to end up having a beautiful and well-fitted toga.
- Starting from your back, wrap your chosen toga fabric around your body and under your arms. Wrap the fabric about 1 to ½ times around your body until your arms are bare and the material reaches your knees.
- Place the rest of the hanging cloth over one of your shoulders and secure it by pinning the back of the fabric to the spot where you started wrapping.
- Drape the fabric in front in such a way that it would look fashionable and attractive. Togas do not have to look smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Secure the toga around your waist using a rope, belt, or a piece of cloth. Choose colors that go well together.
- To complete your outfit, make sure that you don’t wear the wrong kind of footwear because it will just break your look. Togas look good with open-toed sandals or gladiator sandals. You can simply go barefoot.
- Accessorize: Wearing tiaras or a wreath of flowers is highly suggested for women, while men can wear gold necklaces or bracelets to heighten their godly look.
To make a pyramid, you will need the following materials:
- Sketch paper
- Pen or pencil
- Cutting tool such as a knife
- Modeling clay, Plaster of Paris, or Styrofoam
- Wooden blocks
- Plaster of Paris
- Sand-color paint
- Paint sealer
Steps to Make a Pyramid
- Make a design for the pyramid. The Internet can provide pictures of pyramids on which you can base your drawings. Since the real Egyptian pyramids were built from blocks of stone, you can use wooden blocks for a model to help you design your project.
- Choose the materials you will use. You may either use clay and Plaster of Paris, or wood and styrofoam.
- Start building the blocks for the pyramid. Use an ice cube tray to form the blocks. Put a little petroleum jelly on the tray to make it easier to take the blocks out when they harden.
- Assemble the blocks of the pyramid. Start with the pyramid’s base, gradually moving up. Once it is dry, sand the pyramid’s edges. Use a knife to cut off the edges of your pyramid if it is made of Styrofoam or clay. If you are using plaster and wood, you should smooth the edges with sand paper. Use a level to flatten edges.
- Paint the pyramid with your chosen color. If you opted to paint the pyramid, use a sealant to protect it.
Kite making is an activity that can develop your skills in arts and crafts. Although a kite is considered by many as just a toy, making one is not as easy as playing with it. Building a kite involves strictly following a lot of instructions.
- 2 dowel rods
- Ruler or yardstick
- Utility knife
- Sturdy string
- Construction paper
- Strips of cloths or ribbons
Making the Kite
- Cut the doweling rods into two lengths, one 24 inches long and the other 16 inches long.
- Measure each dowel rod piece with a ruler. Mark the half of the 16-inch piece. As for the 24-inch piece, make a mark at a third of its total length.
- Position the two rods on top of one another such that they would be forming right angles. You will know that you are doing it properly when the two rods form a cross.
- Cut enough string to bind the two rods together at the point of their intersection. Make a secure knot and cut off unnecessary string.
- With a utility knife, cut a small notch at the ends of both rods. The notches will hold the string that gives the kite its shape.
- Put some string in the notch located at the top of the frame of the kite. Wind it around the rod’s top.
- After securing the string at the top rod, draw it securely around the frame’s edges.
- Secure the string by tying the ends of the kite together with a tight knot.
- Put the finished frame on top of a large piece of paper.
- The frame will serve as a template that you will trace and cut.
- Glue the edge of the paper to the frame.
- Tie a string to the ends of each rod. The strings should be longer than the rods.
- Gather the ends of the strings and locate a point at the front of your kite where these strings intersect. Do not forget that spot because that will serve as the point where you will attach the piece of string that you will be holding when flying the kite.
- To make the kite’s tail, just add several ribbons at the bottom. Now you’re all set to fly your kite.
Building your own robot seems to be a lot of fun. However, building robots can be quite expensive. Most robot enthusiasts estimate an expense of about $200 to $400 for even a tiny, but functional robot. This tutorial provides a step-by step guide on how to build a car-like robot well under 50$.
Electronic Materials Needed
- Two Hitec HS-311 servos
- 5 volt linear regulator
- ATmega8 AVR
- 28 pin
- DIP socket
- 220uF+ electrolytic capacitor
- Two 0.1uF ceramic capacitors
- Two 36 position breakaway male headers
- Five 340 ohm resistors
- Five CdS Photoresistors
- Grid type PC board with 356 holes
- 4 AA battery holder
- On and off switch
- 9 volt battery
- 6v 1400 mAh nickel metal hydride battery
- AVR STK serial port dongle programmer
- AVR ISP2 programmer
Non-electronic Materials Needed
- Water bottle
- Popsicle sticks
- Duct tape
- Soldering iron
- PC with a serial port or a USB2.0serial port adaptor
- Four 1.5 volt batteries
- Safety goggles
Steps to Build a Robot
- Begin building the chassis by cutting out wheels with a 6-inch diameter from a piece of cardboard.
- Modify the servos to provide your robot the means to drive. Unscrew the screws mounted on its corners and open up the servo to expose its internal mechanism. Find the pot by pulling off the largest gear, then plug in the servo’s controller. Set it to zero degrees. Rotate the pot to stop the gears from moving. Fix the pot in place by setting it with glue. Find and remove the stop on the main gear. Take out the slot found inside the gear that was attached to the pot. Reassemble the servo the same way you found it.
- Proceed to finish the chassis by taking out the screw that connects the motor to the small wheel. Cut a small hole at the center of the wheel and attach the freshly removed screw through it. Fasten the servo mounts to the base of your servos. Mount the servos on a piece of cardboard or firm plastic roughly cut into 3 inches by 6 inches. Fasten them with the screws that came with the servos. Ensure that the wheel section overhangs on the platform’s short side. Stick the servo and cardboard wheels together with tape. Attach the wheels to the servo and tighten the screws.
- Build the castor using a small water bottle. Cut the top part off the water bottle, giving it a roughly equal width all the way down its body. Set the bottle between the servos and secure it to the chassis with rubber bands.
- Start building the robot’s electronics by mounting the NiMH battery pack onto the chassis with tape. An AA battery pack with the same amount of power may also be used for this purpose. Solder and connect all the components to your PC board. If you are uncertain on how to do this, seek the help of someone who has working knowledge on electrical components. Lastly, plug in the servos, battery, photoresistor, and the serial cable onto the PC board. Affix the board into the bottle set at the front of the robot.
- Download the WinAVR, PonyProg2000, and AVR Studio if you want to create your own programming for your robot. If you do not have a background in programming, you may download basic robot programs online such as the one found at http://www.societyofrobots.com/downloads/sbs_source_photovore_v1.zip. Use the code provided with the AVR Studio program.
- Connect the robot to the computer and launch PonyProg2000. Determine to which port your robot is connected to and select it in the PonyProg2000. Write the program to your robot by selecting the “Write All” from the Command menu. This process takes about 30 minutes to an hour. Your robot should be fully functional after writing the program.
Rubik’s Cube can be solved through several methods. Below are the steps that make up the most common way of solving the Rubik’s Cube:
- Examine the Rubik’s Cube. Choose a side and a color. Make a cross of your chosen color at that side.
- Rotate the cross. Repeat this step until you see that some of the cubes at the sides start to match. If you match one color, keep rotating. It is possible to match two colors if you rotate further.
- Find the cross pieces that do not match and swap them. There are two possible situations here: either the two bad pieces are located at opposite sides, or they are beside each other.
- To solve either of the two cases, move one of the pieces to the upper layer. Then, rotate the upper layer until it matches the other piece.
- Insert the four corner pieces to the bottom layer. Start with the color which you first chose. If there is a piece at the top layer, rotate the top layer until the piece is directly on top of where it should be. Then rotate the pieces until the piece goes to the bottom of the cube along with the pieces having the same color.
- The bottom layer is now solved. Perform the same steps on the middle and top layer. Once you have solved one of the sides of the Rubik’s Cube, you can perform the same procedures on the other sides. Just be careful not to move the side you have previously solved.
Making fairy wings for yourself or your child is an enjoyable activity. Here are the things you will need for this fun project.
- 4 pieces of wire coat hangers
- Duct tape
- Glitter and paint
Steps to Make Fairy Wings
- Take two wire hangers. Cut off the hooks of each hanger at the part where the spiral starts. Take one hanger and bend the spiral part to the right. Take the second hanger and bend its spiral part to the left.
- Get the two parts you have twisted and make them overlap each other. Using pieces of duct tape, secure the overlap tightly.
- Take the two remaining hangers and perform the previous steps on them.
- Once you have finished the two sets of hangers, bend each one to the desired wing shape. To create the shape of butterfly wings, make the top wings wide and the bottom wings thin. If you want the shape of a dragon fly wing, make the hangers into a long oval. Use duct tape to attach the two sets of wings together.
- Take four socks. Ideally, you should have knee-high socks as these would surely cover the entire wing. Stretch each of the socks over each wing. Twist the set of wings while holding the socks together. Hook the socks on the wire hanging out of the wing. Wrap the socks in the middle to make sure they won’t come off.
- Apply glue to the middle of the wings. Place the glue on the side where your back would be. Let the glue dry and then paint the wings with the desired color and add glitters.
- Attach the arm bands to the wings and try them out.