One of the best ways that young girls and women use to express themselves, particularly their fashion sense, is through hair bows. They can comfortably wear these trendy, cool and inexpensive accessories either in ordinary days or more so in special events. These things are guaranteed to make them stand out above the rest in almost any occasion that they wish to attend to.
It is very easy to learn how to make hair bows. A regular ribbon can actually do the job, which is one of the most famous materials in making hair accessories. As alternatives, ladies can also use other items like a barrette, a piece of silk or satin.
Although there are many ways that people can use to learn how to make hair bows, the use of ribbon is the most popular. This particular material is very easy to find, less expensive than other fashion accessories and highly attractive. Select the right color that looks good on you. Primarily, colors like baby pink and light blue looks good on people with fair skin.
Get a bulk of hair on top of your head. Get the ribbon and then position the hair right at the middle of it. Simply tie a knot to hold the strands of hair together. It is very important to keep the knot firm and secure in order for the hair bow to last for a longer time.
To give the ribbon an added personal touch and flavor, learn how to form some loops on top of the knot. This thing is not that hard to do. Use one hand to hold one end of the ribbon. Do the same thing to the other end. Position and bind the strands of hair at the center part of the material. Use a simple knot to hold the hair. After one knot, create a couple of loops on top of it. Put the loops in overlapping position, with one on top and the other underneath. Tie another knot without letting go of the loops. This style looks good, cute and very feminine.
For those who wish to make a headband hair bow, put the ribbon along the hairline with the ends at the upper part of the head. Tie a simple knot on top. This must be enough to hold the hair in position. Create a couple of loops once again after the first knot. Tie the loops together and then simply adjust the edges and loops accordingly.
More articles on How to Make Hair Bows
How to Make Hair Bows
How to Make Hair Bows
The use of silk nails add beauty to natural nails. To know how to apply silk nails, it is important to follow the simple guidelines and get all the required materials like silk wraps, buffering oil and glue beforehand.
Even if the use of acrylic nails is more common to women, many fashion experts also recommend the use of silk nails because these are more natural than acrylic nails. To make sure that silk nails can be used for more than a month, choose those that are made from fiberglass. Learning how to apply silk nails is fun and enjoyable. Below are the required materials as well as the steps when applying silk nails.
Needed Materials and Tools
The important materials are silk nail wraps, a plastic compressor sheet and a plastic sealer. The other required materials when applying silk nails are buffing oil and glue. To apply the nails properly, it is important to get all these tools: scissors, a micro file, tweezers and a 180-grit file.
After getting all the required tools and materials, proceed with the simple steps in applying silk nails. First, clean the natural nails and remove fake nails or acrylic nails. It is also helpful to erase or remove existing nail polish. Use the grit file to clean the nails and discard fake nails. Put the silk nail wraps on top of the natural nails. Get a washable marker to outline the shape of the natural nails. Cut the wraps based on the shape and size of the natural nails.
Cover the natural nails with the wraps. Make sure that the natural nails were evenly coated with glue before covering them with silk nail wraps. Carefully slide the compressor sheet over the wraps to be assured that the nails were properly covered. Use the scissors to remove excess part of the nail wraps. Coat the nails with buffing oil. Use the micro file to improve the shape of the nails.
Make sure that the wraps have smooth finish. Secure silk nails by applying a plastic sealer over the wraps. Wait for the plastic sealer to dry. To add beauty to the nails, apply nail polish over the wraps.
Tips and Warnings
Silk nails usually last for two weeks to a month so women with active lifestyles are advised to avoid using linen and silk wraps. It is best that they look for nail wraps that are made from fiberglass because these are stronger than silk and linen nail wraps. To avoid experiencing troubles, use tweezers when attaching the silk wraps to natural nails and do not forget to allot spaces between the cuticles and the wraps to provide a natural look to the nails.
More articles on How to Apply Silk Nails
How to Apply Silk Nails
Hair bows are a great way to dress up practically all sorts of hairstyles. They can be used by both young girls and older women.
Anybody can learn how to tie hair bows. Here’s how:
- 24 inches of ribbon
- Pair of scissors
- Plastic barrette
- Ruler or tape measure
Ribbons for hair bows may be made from a variety of materials. Among them are sheer materials, such as chiffon, satin, velvet, lace, denim, grosgrain, and metallics. They also come in a wide range of colors.
Apart from these, hair bows also come in different styles, such as, single bows, barrette pairs, hard headbands, and salon clips.
Steps in Making Hair Bows
- Cut a ribbon of the color you choosing into two pieces, one 24 inches long and the other 5 inches long. Hold the longer piece and make a loop. Bring a piece of the ribbon to the back of the first loop to create a second loop.
- Thread the center of the ribbon and use the thread, pulling it tightly, to wrap the ribbon creating a cinch in the middle. The barrette, or hair clasp, can now be sewn onto the underside of the hair bow.
- Fold the shorter piece of ribbon lengthwise and tie it into a knot in such a manner that the knot is halfway between the ends of the ribbon. Wrap it at the center of the barrette, keeping the knot on top of the bow. You can sew the ends of the ribbon together.
- The hair bow’s ends can be trimmed to make it look better.
Make up has been used since the days of the Egyptian Pharaohs and Roman Emperors when coal was used to darken the eyebrows. Nowadays, there is an endless variety of make up available to improve or modify one’s appearance.
Types of Makeup
Foundations hide flaws and provide color to the face. They come in the form of liquid, powder, or cream.
- Powder is closely related to the foundation. This is used to set the foundation and give the complexion an even finish.
- Rouge or blusher is cheek stain used to color the cheeks and give emphasis to the cheekbones. This product comes in the form of powder, gel, or cream.
- Eye liner, eye shadow and different color pencils emphasize the eyelids.
- Mascara and eyelash extender enhance the appearance of the eyelashes. Mascara is available in a wide array of colors.
- Eyebrow pencils, gels, waxes and powders fill in and define the eyebrows.
- There are products for improving the appearance and adding color to the lips. This line of products includes lipsticks, lip gloss, and lip liners.
Tips for Putting on Makeup
To make the most of the make up products you choose, there are certain things to remember when putting on make up.
- Wash your face thoroughly with moderately warm water and a gentle soap before putting any cosmetic product. Dry every part of your face after washing it. If you are going to use foundation, make sure that it precisely matches your skin tone. For eye cosmetics, it is a good idea to use those powdered ones as pencils may look unnatural.
If you decide on having a new hairstyle, you can sport hair with bangs. You can even cut your own bangs.
The materials that you need for cutting bangs are:
- A pair of sharp top-quality scissors designed to cut hair,
- a new disposable single-blade razor,
- a styling comb, and
- a mirror
Steps to Cut your Bangs
- Always cut your bangs when your hair is dry. Remember that this part of your hair shrinks as it dries. If you cut your hair wet, it might look very short after drying.
- Part your hair the way that you want it. With a comb, separate the hair that you don’t want to cut. Secure this with a ponytail, bobby pins, or both. Only the bangs should hang loose for cutting.
- Use a fine-toothed comb to divide your bangs into two. Take one part and comb your bangs downwards, with the teeth of the comb facing out. This is done to estimate where your hair falls when the bangs are done. Do not cut your bangs higher than where your comb touches your face when you rest it by your brow bone.
- Start cutting the hair at a diagonal angle (45-degrees work best) if you don’t have shaggy bangs. Work carefully and slowly. Remember, you can never cut your bangs while keeping a straight line. So don’t cut your bangs across.
- Avoid using scissors, no matter how sharp they are, if you sport face-framing bangs. Use a new single-blade razor instead. Pull bangs stiff using two of your longest fingers. Glide fingers down to the end of the section and then use the razor to cut the hair above your fingers. Do the same process to the other half of your bangs.
- If you want to have layers, hold a segment of your bangs between your middle and index fingers and pull your hair upward over your head. Let the hair fall while you glide your hand upward, until you reach the ends. Constantly check with the mirror and make sure that the lengths are even.
- If you are going to use the blower to dry your hair, apply styling gel to your bangs before you dry it.
If you have long hair, braiding it can give you a new look.
Steps to Braid Hair
- Beautiful braided hair begins with clean and damp hair. Apply mousse, pomade, or styling gel to it. Then blow dry it as smooth as possible.
- Separate tangle-free hair into three even sections. Take the left section and place it in between the index finger and thumb of your left hand. Take the right section and place it in between the index finger and thumb of your right hand. . Allow the middle section to hang free.
- Using your right middle finger, take the middle section of your hair. Pull the middle section so that it would pass behind the right hair section. Extend your right index finger and thumb so that the right hair section becomes the middle section.
- Using your left middle finger, do this also with the left hair section. It should become the middle section.
- Focus on the tension and smoothness of the braid sections of the hair. Next, take the section of hair that is hooked in the middle finger of your right hand, and shift it. Do this so that the said section sits between the right thumb and index finger. Do the same to the section of hair that is hooked in the middle finger of your left hand.
- Continue doing this until the desired braid length has been achieved. Tug the middle section horizontally as you pull it to the left or right, to make the braid tighter and more compact.
- Use a ribbon or rubber band to tie the ends of the hair braid.
A sarong is a rectangular piece of cloth. It is often wrapped around the waist as a skirt. It is traditionally used by both men and women in South Asia. It is often brightly colored and can come in a wide range of designs and different woven threads. Modern sarongs are often used at the beach as cover up for bikinis or as blankets to lie down on. They are versatile pieces which can be worn in a variety of ways.
Wearing a Sarong as a Skirt
- Drape the sarong around your waist or hips.
- Hold the two top corners of the sarong and make a knot by looping one end above or under the other. Pull the ends tight.
- Knot it again to ensure it is safe in place.
- Plump up the tie such that the knot looks good and the right side of your sarong is visible. You may put the tie at the back, front, or side, depending on the style that you desire.
- You can also tuck the ends of the tie under the fabric to hide the knot.
- You can adjust the length of the skirt by simply folding the fabric in half for preferred measurement lengthwise before tying.
- The sarong will often have a gap where it is tied. You can pin the gap closed or leave it open.
Wearing a Sarong as a Dress
- Drape the fabric just above the chest.
- Tie a knot with the top edges of the fabric.
- You may wear it on its own as a tube dress.
- You may also use it over swimwear with the gap open. You can choose to pin the gap or leave it open.
Wearing a Sarong as a Top
- Follow the directions above but change the length of the sarong by folding down before tying.
- Fold the fabric into a 5-inch to 7-inch broad strip and drape around the chest.
- Make a knot in the front or back to make a bandeau-style top. Tie and tuck the knot underneath the fabric.
- Fold the fabric into a lean 3-inch wide strip and then wrap around the head as a headband. You can also wear it over a hat as additional decoration. Simply drape the sarong over your neck or shoulder to wear it as a shawl. Place the sarong over a table to use it as a tablecloth.
- Gather both ends of the long part of the sarong and tie them securely. Place it around your body to use as a baby sling.
- Place the sarong on curtain rods or tack it to the wall to be used as a curtain or wall hanging.
To get the perfect haircut, there are three things to keep in mind:
- The shape of your face. This is especially crucial if you plan to have bangs. Look at good haircuts in the Internet or in magazines. Note the shape of the faces of models wearing them. Find one with a face shape similar to yours to get ideas of the hair cut that fits you.
- The amount of time you need to keep your hair in place every day. When you sleep, your hair becomes messy. Sport a low-maintenance cut especially if you do not have much time and energy to blow-dry each morning.
- Updating the cut. How often do you have to cut your hair to make it look as it did the first time you cut it? Choose a haircut that may not be the best-looking haircut, but rather the most convenient to maintain.
Guidelines for Cutting Your Own Hair
- If you are cutting your own hair, it is safe to make the cut as simple as it can be. This is important especially if it’s your first time to cut your own hair. If you want more sophisticated cuts, you can just go to the salon.
- It is always easier to cut wet and freshly shampooed hair because it is more “behaved.” Keep a spray bottle of water nearby so you can dampen your hair if it starts to dry out while you are still in the process.
- Use sharp scissors designed to cut hair. Trim a little at a time. Remember, it is safer to just snip in small quantities so you will not over-cut.
- Divide your hair into sections. When you’re already cutting your hair, be very careful and note its length from all sides. It’s hard to concentrate on multiple mirrors so it is advisable to have another person nearby.
More articles on How to Cut Your Own Hair
A Mohawk is done by shaving both sides of the head and leaving a strip of hair in the center. It may either be short and patch-like or long and fin-like in appearance. It may also come in a myriad of colors.
The Mohawk was originally worn by Native American tribes of the past. It saw a comeback and gained popularity during the 1980s’ rise of the punk subculture. Back then, Mohawks were only seen adorning the heads of hardcore punk aficionados. Nowadays, almost anyone can sport this crazy hairdo.
You can cut the Mohawk by yourself. But for best results, it is better if you have a friend nearby to assist you with the cutting.
Here are the things that you need:
- an electric hair clipper;
- a comb;
- a couple of rubber bands;
- some newspapers;
- a towel; and
- a can of hairspray.
Wash your hair first to make sure that the clipper will not snag on any tangled hair.
If you have long hair exceeding three inches, trim it down at the sides first with a pair of scissors. Long hair does not cooperate very well with hair clippers.If your hair is curly, straighten it first with a flat iron.
Step 1. Towel your hair dry. Wrap it around your neck afterwards to avoid hair from falling down your shirt. Spread some newspapers on the floor to catch the hair and spare you from sweeping later.
Step 2. Measure how thick you want to cut your Mohawk. Measuring the space between your irises is a good way to start. If you are planning to have a long-finned Mohawk, you have to cut it thin and hold it up with some hairspray. If you cut it too thick, it’s not going to stand up easily.
Step 3. Establish the strip of hair that you are going to leave behind. According to your preferred thickness, part the middle hair into three sections and secure them with rubber bands. You might want to ask a friend do this to make sure that it is straight.
Step 4. Turn your clippers on and buzz away the sides. Remove the rubber bands and make your hair stand upright with hairspray.
- Like most bladed objects, hair clippers can hurt you. Make sure that you have the clipping guards on before doing any cutting.
- Have at least two mirrors around you. If you have long sideburns, you can choose not to cut them and have a Mohawk with sideburns. This variation is called the Chelsea Mohawk.