While cats don’t usually need excessive amount of attention from their owners, they do require certain particulars to be in place whenever their owners are away for an extended period. There are several factors that will affect how long a cat can survive on its own, but no cat should ever be left alone for more than 7 days.
What your cat will need while you’re gone
• Adequate food and fresh water
• Clean litter box
• A trusted friend or a paid cat sitter
• A variety of toys
Leaving Kittens home alone
Kittens are very active, curious and prone to accidents. Even with adequate food, clean water and a cat lover to check on them, they’ll need more care and attention than an adult cat. In the best interest of your furniture and kitten’s life, do not leave kittens home alone for any extended period.
Leaving Sick or older cats home alone
Older cats without a history of illness may be left home alone with adequate water, food, toys and a cat lover to check on them at least once per day. A sick cat or any cat with a history of serious illness should not be left alone. Any number of accidents can happen and complications may develop quickly and without warning. In the case of an emergency, there may not be enough time to rush a cat off to the vet even if it is being checked on daily.
Leaving a cat alone while out at work or for a couple of days
Cats only need adequate food, clean water, and enough toys to keeps them occupied while their owner is out for a normal 8-10 hours work day. For a maximum of two days, cats require the same thing with the inclusion of a cat sitter to check on them once each day while the owner is away.
Leaving a cat alone for 7-10 days
Cats do notice when their owners are not around and will become lonely or depressed. Do not leave them alone for more than 10 days with or without a sitter. For a week away, leave cats with enough food, water and toys. For the best option, hire a cat sitter for approximately $15-$18 per day while away. If you are unable to, ask a trusted neighbour, friend or relative to check on the cat at least once per day.
Tips and warnings
- Cat sitters should interact playfully with cats. Playing with cats will help to alleviate depression and, or loneliness.
- Clean the cat’s litter box and give it fresh food and water everyday.
- If there are several cats in the household they’ll provide each other with company, so they can be left alone for a longer time.
- Cats should be left indoors while owners are away. There should be no openings in the house that may lead the cat outdoors.
- Remember to leave the cat’s vet. Information with whoever will look after it.
- Use your knowledge of the cat’s personality to help determine how long the cat will be able to survive without its owner.
Knowing how to change a watch battery yourself is handy. Although this service can be obtained for a reasonable price at jewellery and electronic stores, it is no more time consuming or difficult to do it yourself with caution and a few simply tools.
What you will need
- New Watch Battery
- Jeweller’s size screw drivers
- Hand towel
- Lint free cloth
- Watch tool to unscrew base
- Magnifying glass (optional)
Removing the cover
- Place watch face down on a soft pad or lint free cloth.
- Examine the edge of the back cover.
- If there is one small depression along the edge of the cover, pry it off.
- If there are screws present, remove the screws for the cover to lift off.
- If the cover has a raised edge with flat edges opposite each other, the cover can be unscrewed.
Removing the battery
- Carefully remove rubber-like gasket. Set it aside for reassembly.
- Locate battery (the battery is a round, shiny, metal object). It will likely be less than 3/8 inch and larger that ¼ inch in diameter. It will be held into the case by either a cover and screw or a clip.
- If battery is held with cover and screw, remove the screw with appropriate screwdriver.
- Carefully set screw and cover aside.
- If battery is held with a spring clip, pry the battery from under the clip with a small flat-bladed screwdriver.
- Note very carefully which side of the battery is facing outward and which side of the battery is facing into the watch case before removal.
- Remove battery and set aside.
Identifying the battery
- Watch batteries are identified by a number located on the back. Numbers are generally 3 or 4 digits such as 232 or 3037.
- One side of the battery is marked with a large plus sign (this is the positive side).
Buying the replacement battery
- Write down the battery identification number (the watch model is irrelevant).
- Take the number and the old battery to a drug, electronics or jewellery store to buy a new one.
Installing the new battery
- Remove battery from packaging and wipe away any film or fingerprints.
- Place battery into the watch body in exactly the same position as the old one.
- Put the battery into the clip or replace the cover and screw.
- Turn watch over and check to see that the second hand or digital display is advancing.
Replacing gasket and cover
- Place gasket onto the cover or into a groove provided for it in the case. Ensure that the gasket is fully into the groove around the cover evenly.
- Replace the cover carefully so as not to damage the gasket.
- Recheck operation of the watch and set to correct time.
Tips and warnings
- Before you decide to change your watch battery, check the cost of the battery versus the cost of a watch. Some inexpensive watches will cost less than a watch battery.
- Use a magnifying glass and adequate light to prevent the loss of small parts.
- Use a black piece of construction paper to hold small parts. The contrast makes the parts easier to see.
Use screwdrivers with caution as tshe watch case, face and insides can easily be damaged if screwdrivers are operated with negligence.
- Do not apply pressure to the watch case without cushioning the face. Doing otherwise will break or scratch the face of the watch.
- Some watches lose their water resistance after being opened. A watch technician will have to pressurise the watch if this is the case.
- If you are worried or uncertain about replacing your watch battery yourself, consider taking it to a jeweller. Often the work is reasonably priced or at no additional cost other than buying the watch battery.
With more ships and cruise lines being built, finding a great cruise bargain isn’t as hard as it used to be. However, there is still room for cost cutting as petrol prices have caused cruise lines to add fuel surcharge to their rates. Finding the best cruise price simply requires a bit of leg work, savvy and flexibility before you can sail off on your dream vacation.
You will need
Online cruise booking sites
Cruise Review Sites
Select a cruise line category
- There are three categories of cruise ships to choose from: Luxury Cruise Lines, Premium Cruise Lines and Mainstream Cruise Lines.
- Luxury lines will rack up the most expensive rates and then Premium cruises. Mainstream cruise lines offer the lowest rates.
Decide on a destination
- Cruises sail to the Caribbean, Alaska, South America and Scandinavia.
- The season of your travel will help determine where you’ll go.
- Most ships sails to the Caribbean and South America during winter and Alaska and Europe during summer.
Think about travel dates
- Each destination has prime weeks that are the most popular, most heavily booked and therefore most expensive.
- Shoulder weeks are just before and after the prime time when cruises are offered at lower prices.
- Gather the price for a cruise on the week just before or just after prime time. The weather will still be good but the crowds and costs are less.
Consider cruise size
- There are extremely large cruise ships that can accommodate between 1000-1500 passengers. These cruises offer lower prices.
- Cruise ships with a capacity for 300-500 passengers on average are most expensive as they generally provide a more enjoyable cruise experience.
Shop around online
- With all the preliminary considerations settled, visit major online cruise booking sites listed above.
- Take notes and compare cruise line costs to know exactly what the cruise itself will cost. You can add additional service rates later or pay for them independently.
- After selecting possible cruises, read their reviews on cruise review sites listed above. Use the information to make a guided decision.
Contact a travel agent
- Call a local travel agent or two (travel agencies usually belong to a larger association that reserve bulk spaces on selected cruises and sell them at promotional rates).
- A good travel agent will go the extra mile to cover more leg work for you. They will get an idea of your personality and lifestyle and use this to find the best deals on the most appropriate cruise for you.
- If you are unsure of anything, a good travel agent is the best person to call and ask questions.
- When you’ve completed the leg work, gathered your information and your preferences are decided, compare prices of cruise lines that appeal to you.
Tips and Warnings
- If you do not live close to your cruise port, fly to it early. Try to arrive on the first flight in if travelling on the day your cruise departs, or if possible on the day before your cruise ship leaves port.
- Periodically monitor cruise and travel agent web sites. Sings up for their e-mail lists so they’ll automatically send you their latest bargains and specials.
- Be mindful of the cruise line’s policy regarding full payment and when penalties for cancelling or rebooking kick in.
- If you will be out and about for most of your trip, go ahead and buy the lowest priced cabin.
- If you want an ocean view or balcony cabin to relax, try to book early to secure these highly coveted spots.
- If you usually experience sea sickness try to get a cabin at the very centre of the cruise ship.
It’s never too late to plan a great vacation. If you’re pressed for time there are still simple and easy ways to arrange a fun solo, group or family vacation. Follow this guide and take note of these tips to make the best of your last minute travel arrangements.
What you’ll need
Get online and gather information, there are tonnes of creditable sites geared towards helping travellers to snatch bargains at the last minute. Below are a few valuable sources
- American Express Travel
- Last-minute weekend getaway packages on American Airlines
Think outside of air travel
- Consider plans that don’t necessarily include airfare.
- There are great last minute deals particularly on cruise lines. If you live in or near a port city, a cruise is a great option.
- Once you pay the fee for a cruise everything is included. Entertainment, lodgement, travel between ports and all meals are included in one price on cruises.
- Cruises are also available in themes i.e. family friendly cruises as well as there are cruises targeted at singles and couples.
- National parks are a great and inexpensive way to get back to nature. It can be as affordable as pitching a tent or as upscale as a luxury cottage. If it is within driving distance, turn it into a road trip and sight see along the way.
Shop for bargains by theme
- If you want to take a last minute trip that involves an airline, shop by theme rather than destination.
- Instead of looking for bargain flights to Cancun, shop around for flights to “beach destinations” instead. This way you’ll see all the options available to you in different beach destination.
Travel to off season destinations
- Great bargains are always available to destinations during their off season.
- Airlines offer incentives to get you to these places and lodgements in these destinations offer special packages, discounts and bargains to entice visitors.
- Also it is a great option to travel on weekdays instead of weekends. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are said to be the slowest days for airlines and so these days offer the cheapest fares.
Keeping a budget
- For families especially, travelling on a budget is ideal.
- The best options for budget travelling are all inclusive resorts and cruises. At all inclusive resorts and cruises, the initial payment covers everything from daily meals to nightly entertainment. At the end of the trip you would have not incurred more than your budget offerings.
Tips and Warnings
- The key to finding great bargains is in maintaining flexibility. The more flexible you are the more travel bargains you will find to fit your needs.
- Fly with a budget carrier instead of a major airline. These offer reduced prices for popular flight destinations.
- Deals go fast, so if its right for you take it.
- Subscribe to free travel deal e-mails like that offered on airline and travel websites. An e-mail is sent periodically informing subscribers of exclusive bargains.
- Shop around for vacation packages that include everything from airport pickup to all inclusive lodgement and rental car.
Are you able to organize and assign tasks? Do you have great communication skills and enjoy working with people? Then chances are with training you could be a great hotel manager. Such a career can be very rewarding in both a financial and moral aspect. It doesn’t matter if you have experience in the hospitality field or if you are simply a person with a general interest in the field. Once you have the right personality and set of skills need for the job then the sky is the limit for you. Still interested? Well here are a few steps you will need to take to get your career started.
- A degree in Hotel Management or Restaurant Management from a recognizable university.
- Experience in the hospitality industry
- If you do not already have one, you will need to obtain a degree in hotel management or restaurant management from a four year university or college.
- Once you have attained your degree you will need to begin working your way up in the industry. Apply for a position in the field of hospitality upon your university graduation; it doesn’t necessarily have to be a managerial post as you will more than likely have to start from ground up to build experience in the field.
- Actively participate in the hotel’s training programs offered in the initial stages of attaining a job. What you learn here can greatly assist you in moving up the ladder of success.
- Climb up the managerial ladder by applying for all positions open.
- There is a saying that says bigger is better. This is very true where your education is concerned as the better your educational background is there more likely it will be for you to achieve your career goal.
- Develop an open mind as you may be required to start out small.
- Be prepared to travel the globe as this job allows you to see the world and meet new people.
- If you find that you can not afford the traditional way of study try alternative methods such as part time or online courses.
- Enroll in work and study programs in order to gain experience in the industry even before you attain your degree.
- Never take on more than you can handle.
- Stay true to yourself and keep your goal in mind.
- Do not be intimidated by any posts offered. Try to apply even if you see others around you think it’s too soon for you to get such a big job. Always believe in yourself and put yourself out there because you never know what twists life may have.
Have you noticed that everywhere you go you see ants? In your food, in your clothes, they are just too much to handle. Luckily there are in fact homemade remedies you can do to get rid are these pests. Here is how you can get rid of these critters in just a few simple steps.
- Corn Meal
- House Cleaning Supplies
- Laurel Leaves
- Food Storage Containers
- Maple Syrup
- Cream of Wheat
- Completely Remove the ant’s food supply.
- Refrain from keeping anything strong in open bags.
- Make chalk lines around the areas that you would like the ants to avoid.
- Use laurel leaves in your food containers to detract the ants from your food.
- Sprinkle cornmeal where you see ant gatherings (ants die from eating cornmeal).
- Set saucers with maple syrup at unique positions around your house (the ants will get stuck).
- Set small saucers of cream of wheat (uncooked food eaten by ants cause them to explode).
- Spray a mixture of rubbing alcohol, dish washing liquid and water on all opening that the ants enter or exit.
- To help eliminate the ants food supply clean your ‘food handling appliances’, such toasters, blenders etc. on a regular basis.
- Sweep or vacuum the kitchen floor regularly.
- Empty your trash bins regularly
- Use trash bags to make emptying your trash can easier.
- Be sure to read the warning notes on the back of all chemicals before you use them.
Call forward is a feature used on a telephone that allows all your incoming calls from one telephone to be re-directed to another telephone (which is usually a cell phone). In most instances the phone which it is going to will ring once and then re-route connections to the phone which it is program to re-direct to. This feature is mainly used by persons conducting business who are sometimes expecting important calls but can’t be present at one location so have them forwarded to their mobile phone.
Tools required are
Materials required are
- Figure out which phone you would like all your calls to forward from and listen for the dial tone and enter the call forwarding code. This code is issued by your local telephone company, so check with them to get the correct number. Then enter the number of the phone you wish the calls to be directed to
- Now the phone that calls will be directed to will now ring, either have someone take it up or have it close to you so you can take it up. Or confirm by repeating the first step.
- This process would have now officially activated the call forwarding features and all calls from the original phone will now be re-directed to the other phone.
- If you should decide to stop the call forwarding service all you have to do is take up the original phone and put in a deactivation code which also provided by your telephone service provider.
Tips and Warning
- For the US the code for the call forwarding feature is usually *72, for European Union it is *21* and *73 and #21# to deactivate respectively. Tables of the call forwarding codes can also be found on the internet for various countries.
- Certain phones (mainly cell phones) have a built in call forwarding features that you can configure without having to go through the regular procedure.
- The Call forwarding feature normally incurs an additional charge to your phone service so be sure to check with your telephone company to query these charges.
- You may also setup your call forwarding to activate only when the original telephone line is busy. You may consult your telephone company for these codes as well.
By definition a boil is a localized infection deep in the skin. Normally it begins as simply a reddened, tender area on the skin which eventually becomes firm and hard yet still tender. The center of this eventually becomes filled with pus (white blood cells mixed with bacteria and protein). The pus then forms a head which can then be surgically opened or drained. But what if I can’t afford to do the surgery you may ask. Then there are in fact a few steps you may take to treat your boil on your own.
- Warm Compress
Steps to Take
- First of all you will need to locate your boil. These are normally bumps or sacs red in color and very irritated looking. Be careful not to break or burst it as this will cause the infection to spread to healthy hair follicles.
- Begin taking more showers than baths. When you take baths your body is soaked into the germs and bacteria while in a shower they are washed away. Also avoid any vigorous activity that may cause the body to sweat excessively. It is also not recommended that persons with boils(with visible lesions) engage in any sporting activities that evolve person to person contact as this may spread the bacteria.
- Warm compresses three or four times a day for about twenty minutes may be used to relieve pain. You may use a single washcloth and hold directly over the infected area. Be careful as moving your cloth around may also spread the infection also remember to wash your hands after touching a boil.
- Store your personal items such as clothing and towels in a separate compartment from others to prevent spreading your infection. Instead of using a washcloths or towels for your compress try using disposable paper towels so as to ensure that no one else uses that same towel.
- Under no circumstance are you to use any non-prescription ointments as it is highly recommended that you only use antibiotics and other medication prescribed by a physician. If you do choose to use medication for relief of discomfort or to treat mild fevers avoid anything with acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
- Dealing with a health condition on your own can be a difficult task but ensure that you do so carefully so as to prevent the spread of bacteria. Also contact your doctor immediately if you realize that you have seen no improvement with two to three days or if the condition gets worse.
Many people often get confused when trying to express their deep feelings for someone. Just being in the same room with that person may very well be too much to handle. So how then can you tell someone that you love them without actually saying it to them face to face? Why not sit down in the privacy of your home or wherever you feel comfortable and write a letter to let that special someone how you feel. It doesn’t have to be long just write exactly how you feel. It can be really simple lets write your letter together.
- Classy Pen (Fountain Pen would be an asset)
- Acid – Free Paper
- Postage Stamps
- Wax Seals
- Poetry Books
- Choose Materials Wisely – You want to pick materials that will help convey the mood of love to that special someone. I wouldn’t recommend the regular office stationery as it may turn your reader away from your letter. Try to at least get elegant looking paper so that if you do end up using the same office pen it still sends the same message.
- Start writing in a friendly tone – Try to begin your letter with something that says exactly what you are about. Consider using My dearest or To the Love of my Life over Dear Sirs or To whom it may concern. Please ensure that you know the correct name of this person on the paper as this small detail says a lot about you.
- Don’t hold back – Be you! Express yourself to the max. There is no set format for writing your letter, you can fell free to use the language you are most comfortable with or any “nick names” you might have for each other.
- Stay Focused – Try to stick to the point at hand. If you find yourself straying or running out of material feel free to take a break until you get back into a romantic mood. Under no circumstance should you resort to a play by play of your last doctor’s appointment or the annoying co-worker. Keep the purpose of the letter in the back of your mind at all times.
- Close your letter tenderly – As with the opening your want to keep choose your words wisely. This will be the last thing your loved ones read and will more than likely something they remember so consider using poetic phases like “ Your abased servant” instead of “Yours truly”.
Rats do not only cause structural damage or gnaw on your belongings; they can also spread disease to members of your family. Reducing their numbers or eliminating them completely should become a priority during the first signs of an infestation. You may use various methods of pest control ranging from poisoned rat bait to rat traps. However, there are those who would rather opt to make a more humane trap for these pesky vermin.
Those who are interested on how to make a trap that is humane and non-kill have several options. They can purchase a non-kill trap from a supplier and assemble it as soon as it is delivered. But if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative then you might have to learn how to make a trap out of household items, which would really save you money.
Bucket traps are probably the most efficient way of getting rid of rodents in your home. They are also easy to construct and will require the least amount of work when you try to make one. You’ll need the following materials to build a bucket trap:
- Peanut butter
- Toilet paper tube
- Bucket or a trash can (one that is 20 inches tall or higher)
Here are the steps on how to make a trap that won’t kill your pesky visitors. Flatten out one side of the toilet paper tube. This will result to a tube half of it a semi-circle and the other half flattened. You can now lay the tube on a surface without having the tube roll over. You may want to crease out a couple of parallel lines to make a flat side.
The next step on how to make a trap would be to prepare your bait. Rats love peanut butter and are very attracted to it. Take a piece of cracker that will fit in one end of your tube. Place a dab or two of peanut butter on your cracker bait and place the cracker on one end of your paper towel tube.
Place your paper towel tube on an elevated surface like a table. Balance it on the edge of the surface where the bait is hanging out over the edge. The idea is to attract a rodent to crawl through the paper towel to get to the bait. What should happen then is that the bait, paper towel tube, and the rat would tip over the edge as the rat’s weight unbalances the whole thing as he lunges for the bait.
To complete the procedure on how to make a trap that is humane and non-kill is to position your bucket or trash can exactly where your tube and bait would fall. And that is how to make a trap for rodents out of household items. Make sure that you’re at least a mile away from your home when you release your rodent.