Applying camouflage face paint should only take about five minutes. It is important to camouflage face, neck and behind the ears when hunting as the natural oils in skin will reflect light and draw attention. Camouflage requires two colours and is applied in an irregular patter all over the face and neck. Follow the instructions below to have a camouflaged face within minutes whether for costume, hunting or military purposes.
Costume purpose camouflage
- Water based theatrical makeup
- Make up sponge
- On a single makeup sponge dab light green paint on one end, and dark green on the other end.
- On another makeup sponge, apply light brown on one end, and dark brown on the other.
- Holding a sponge in each hand, dab colours all over face and neck in an irregular pattern. Ensure the cheekbone, nose and areas around the eyes are covered.
Military and hunting purpose camouflage
- Camouflage sticks
- Burnt cork
- Burnt bark
- Lamp black
- Light coloured mud
- When applying camouflage stick to your skin, work with a partner.
- Apply a two-coloured combination of camouflage stick in an irregular pattern.
- Paint shiny areas such as forehead, cheekbones, nose, ears and chin with a dark colour.
- Paint shadow like areas: around the eyes, under the nose, and around the chin with a light colour.
- Paint the exposed skin on the back of the neck, arms, and hands.
- If arm and hand signals will be used, paint palms.
Tips and warnings
- Use black sparingly for military and hunting purposes. Black is not a natural colour.
- Always have someone check you over when applying face paint for military and hunting purposes.
- The key intention is to break up the outline of your face. Do not create any shapes that represent your facial features. Do not create black outlines around the mouth, nose or eyes.
- Create small lines (large tiger stripe lines will only make you quite obvious).
- Don’t forget to camouflage your lips and eyelids.
- Soften camouflage sticks with insect repellent as the sticks can become hardened. (Using insect repellant to soften them will keep bugs off at the same time. This is important for military and hunting camouflage.)
- If you intend to go through water, use oil based face paint to prevent camouflage from washing off.