A planter is typically used to elevate plants above infertile land into rich soil however many persons use it now a days to get a but more planting space as well as for beautification.. It tends to add a little more style to your garden and home exterior giving you the edge over many onlookers. So how can you get one of this planters that is affordable you may ask? Well its simple actually you can build it yourself and below I will show you how.
- Cedar Panels
- Wood Glue
- Galvanized Nails
- Sand Paper
- Speed Square
- Miter box (optional)
- Drill Driver
- Drill Bits
- Nail Gun (optional)
- Measuring Tape
- Build the top and bottom frames with 1×2 cedar strips.
- Fasten two 26” strips and two 13” strips together to form each rectangular frame.
- Butt the ends of the shorter strips against the longer strips.
- .Repeat for each end of the longer strips.
- Apply a bead of wood glue to the junction of the strips.
- Nail each junction with a single nail.
- Pre-drill the ends.
- Insert a screw in each corner.
- Allow two beads to stand on their sides.
- Apply a bead of glue onto the long sides.
- Attach four side panels to each long side.
- Smooth out the sides.
- Nail from the inside.
- Repeat on the other side of the box.
- Stand the box on its end.
- Apply a bed of wood glue to the bottom end frames (on the inside)
- Attach two panels to each end just as in the steps before.
- Ensure that the ends are flush on the bottom.
- Repeat on opposite end.
- Use wood glue and screws to attach three bottom panels to the base of your planter.
- Drill several holes in the panels.
- Smooth out all splinters.
- Decorate as desired.
- Add a layer of gravel.
- Fill with soil.
- Have fun planting.
Tips and Warnings
- Consider building a decorative edging using 17 inch planks to make a square frame for your box. You can use your miter saw to cut the planks at 45degree angles then simply nail the planks together in a square.
- Exercise extreme caution when using sharp or heavy tools or equipments. Wear respective safety gear at all times. Never take your safety for granted.