It is easy and fun to make your own volcano, whether for a school project or simply for recreation. By mixing certain kinds of substances and ingredients, you can make your own volcano, erupting and oozing with sizzling red lava.
- flour: 6 cups
- salt: 2 cups
- cooking oil: 4 tablespoons
- warm water
- plastic soda bottle
- dishwashing detergent
- food coloring
- baking dish or similar pans
- baking soda
Making your Volcano
- Make the cone of the volcano by mixing 6 cups of flour, 2 cups of salt, 4 tablespoons of cooking oil, and 2 cups of water. Add more water if the mixture isn’t as firm and smooth as expected.
- Position the soda bottle in a baking pan and mould the dough around the bottle to form the shape of a volcano. While molding, be careful to avoid covering or obstructing the hole of the plastic soda bottle by accidentally dropping dough into the hole.
- Fill the plastic soda bottle with warm water and put in a small amount of red food coloring. This will bring more life to your volcanic eruption by making the lava more realistic.
- Add about 6-7 drops of dishwashing detergent to the contents of the plastic soda bottle.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda into the mixture.
- Pour vinegar slowly into the mixture inside the bottle and you can expect to experience a volcanic “eruption” in a few seconds or minutes. The size of the eruption will depend on the strength of your ingredients.
Do wear protective gear like goggles when you are on the process of making your own volcano. The volcanic eruption may cause some of the mixture to splatter around and it can be harmful or irritating to the eyes.