DVDs have become very popular over the years and have taken over from VHS tapes as the primary method of storing and transporting movies; DVDs are also used to store data, music and other files just as CDs are but DVDs hold a lot more than CDs do. DVDs cannot entirely replace CDs however, because a lot of music players will only work with CDs and cannot read DVDs. The term DVD is short for Digital Video/Versatile Disk, and DVDs can be recordable, meaning that data can only be recorded to it once, or it can be re-writable, meaning that data can be recorded and erased over and over as the user desires.
MPEG stands for Moving Picture Experts Group but in general when persons use the term it is in reference to the video and audio compression format that was created by the MPEG group, and not the group itself; the MPEG formats are perhaps the most popular formats currently used on computers and the format is also supported by most portable devices. Because MPEG is so popular and works with almost any multimedia device, persons will often convert their DVD movies to the MPEG format to make them easier to transport and easier to watch on a variety of mobile devices; the conversion process is not a very difficult one to perform if the following tools are available and the following steps are followed.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED
• PC or laptop
• Ripping software
• Conversion software
• Internet connection
1. Sort the DVDs that will be converted to MPEG
2. Search online for DVD ripping solutions
3. Download and install an application for ripping DVD movies to the computer. Popular choices include AnyDVD and DVD Fab for paid solutions with free solutions such as Handbrake available
4. After installation open the program and insert the DVD that is to be converted to MPEG
5. Follow the prompts for conversion
6. After conversion close the program, then open the output folder manually or from within the program prior to closing if supported
7. Go online again and search for a video conversion application. Popular choices include Format Factory and Media Coder as free solutions with paid solutions such as River Past Video Cleaner available as well
8. Download and install the selected application
9. Open the application and set the options for converting to MPEG
10. Drag the ripped video into the application and hit the button to start the conversion
11. On completion the MPEG video will be found in the output folder which may be opened manually or from within the program if supported
DO’s AND DONT’s
Usually a ripping application will not rip to MPEG, but some will rip to MP4 which uses MPEG-4. If MP4 is adequate then do not pass step 6.
Some editing applications work better with MPEG-2 versus MPEG-4 and as such the user should research and decide which will suit their needs in order to see if MPEG-4 will suffice.