Converting JPEG to Vector is not a difficult process. It will require the right type of software that may be purchased or obtained free online. Vector uses geometric based attributes to create a computer graphic. It is commonly comprised of curves, shapes, lines, polygons and points and has the advantage of producing an image that is capable of being magnified several times over without a noticeable loss in overall quality. This means that vector images can be scaled easily without affecting image clarity. JPEG uses lossy compression to create a digital photographic image. It is widely used as the primary format for digital cameras and has the capacity to produce medium to high quality images depending on the level of compression applied. For this example Inkscape will be used. It is a free software that is available online. It is compatible with the major operating systems, that is, Microsoft Windows, MAC and Linux.
1. Go to the website and download Inkscape. Select the download based on the type of Operating System you are using. It should automatically display the download that correlates with your O/S, if not simply choose the appropriate version. Once you have downloaded the program open it and install it.
2. Open Inkscape. The user interface should appear momentarily.
3. Go to the File menu option. From the the list that follows, choose the Import option to find the JPEG you would like to convert. The file directory system should pop up, browse this to find the image that you need. Thumbnails of the image should be displayed, if not you may need to label the JPEG image to make your search easier. Click on OK once you have identified the JPEG you will use.
4. At the menu bar select Path and then the Trace Bitmap option.
5. You can make a few adjustments to the image. You may choose the Colors option to improve the resolution of the image. Do this by increasing the number of Scans used on the image. Once you are satisfied with the enhanced resolution, click on Update. You may make other modifications that will require you to experiment a bit with the available settings. To apply the changes you have made select the Update option.
6. To complete the conversion from JPEG to vector save the file as one of the available formats. You may rename the file or leave it as is. The JPEG file will remain because the extension will not be .jpg. The best format choice for a vector image is EPS, use this if you are unfamiliar with the program.
Tips and Warnings
The process is very straightforward you will not need to have an appreciable knowledge of graphics or Inkscape to perform the conversion. Once you select the options available the vector image will be composed almost immediately.
Always preview the image before saving. Clear any changes you have made if you do not wish to save them by clicking undo history or by closing the program without saving these modifications.