MP3 more correctly refers to the MPEG layer III compressed format used for the storage of audio information. It is commonly used on most media players and has the advantage of producing high quality audio in a compact format. It may also refer to the MPEG format, although this is not an entirely correct application of the term. The MPEG format is used to store both video and audio information. It can be played on some external devices and some computer based media players. MP3 or MPEG layer III formulates the audio component of the MPEG file format. AVI is another audio and video container format. It is widely compatible with most computer based media players and is the standard format utilized by DVD ripping programs. For this reason, it may be best to convert MPEG files to AVI for use in a variety of players. Performing a conversion from MPEG to AVI is really simple once a suitable program is used. There are many converters available online; most of these should be able to convert MPEG to AVI. For this example Digital Media Converter will be used.
Microsoft Operating System
Digital Media Converter
Digital Media Converter has several options for conversion. Files can be loaded and altered using the available settings in a few quick steps.
1. First download Digital Media Converter from the website. After it has been downloaded open the set up file and complete the installation.
2. Once installed open the program. You should see the interface immediately.
3. To load files, click the Add button located on the tool bar of the interface. A dialog will pop up showing you the file path options. Browse the files on the hard drive and find the MPEG file(s) that need to be converted. Highlight the file(s) and select the Open option to load them in the designated field.
4. Select the new format for the MPEG files by going to the Output Format option. From the drop down list that appears select AVI – Audio Video Interleave.
5. Select the Video Settings option to modify the newly created AVI file(s). At this point changes may be made to the frame rate, quality, compressor and video size. If satisfied with the default settings, make no changes.
6. Click convert to start the process. Once completed the program will indicate that the AVI file is ready.
Tips and Warnings
• When converting to an AVI do not choose the MPEG layer III audio compressor. This will result in a faulty, incomplete conversion.
• Do not turn off the computer while the program is in the middle of converting these files.
• Save the MPEG files in an easily accessed area of the hard drive. This will cut down on the time spent searching for video files that need to be converted. Additionally save all video files in one folder.
• If the computer is slow, do not run any other programs while using the converter as this will further reduce how well the processor performs.