The MP4 format is useful for the storage of audio and video data. The advantage of this file format is that it allows the content to be stored in a more compact format. This means that an MP4 will use less space than a conventional MPEG 2 file. Because of this, it has become a popular format that is often used on computer based players. Outside of this, MP4 loses its benefits because it is not compatible with many standalone devices. Most CD players and DVD players will not play MP4 files. Even newer DVD players that claim MP4 playing capabilities often cannot play actual MP4s. A solution to this problem is to convert your MP4 files to MP3. MP3 is a popular file format that can be played in most standalone players. It produces good quality sound and does not use much more space than a standard MP4 audio file. To convert an MP4 file to an MP3 file will necessitate a Converter program. There are several to choose from and most will be adequate to meet your needs. For this illustration Leawo Free AVI Converter will be used. It is free and can be downloaded from the website and used immediately.
Microsoft Windows O/S
Leawo Free AVI Converter
The process is very simple and requires very little time. Leawo Free AVI Converter is set up in such a way that performing a conversion does not require additional tampering with complex settings. The built in defaults are enough to produce a quality MP3 file.
1. Go to the website and download Leawo Free AVI Converter. Once downloaded open the set-up file and follow the instructions for installation. The program will not take up much space and will be installed and ready to use very quickly.
2. Launch the program once the installation has been completed. The user interface should appear instantly.
3. Select the Add Video option at the top left hand corner of the screen. The files can be video files as the Converter will naturally extract the audio to the MPEG 3 layer. Browse the folder and select the specific MP4 you would like to convert to MP3. You may add more than one file as all files will be converted simultaneously. Once you are satisfied that you have chosen the appropriate files proceed to the next step.
4. Select the output file by going to Profile. Select the MP3-MPEG Layer 3 Audio option. This will tell the program to convert the MP4 to an MP3.
5. At Output select the folder you would like to use to store your new MP3 file(s).
6. To start the conversion click Convert. The time taken will vary depending on the speed of your computer’s processor. The interface will clearly show the progress of conversion.
Tips and Warnings
• Do not turn off the computer before the program has completed conversion this may lead to corrupted MP3 files or other issues.
• If you are using a slow computer avoid utilizing other programs while using the converter.