Flank steak is the meat cut from the belly muscles of a cow. The cut is long and flat. It is more commonly known as Bavette in the French cuisine, where it is often used. Asian cuisine also uses this cut in a number of dishes. It is often marinated before cooking. This cut is sold in Chinese markets as stir-fry beef. Flank steak is often served as part of stir fry dishes in Cantonese restaurants. Strips of this meat cut are also often used in Mexican cuisine, particularly for tacos.
High quality meat cut has a bright red color. It is best to cut the meat across the grain because this is a tough cut with a lot of muscles. It is often tenderized using a machine or by marinating it.
Ingredients in cooking flank steak are 2 pounds of flank steak, freshly ground pepper, and Kosher salt.
For the marinade, you need ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, ¼ cup of honey, 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1/3 cup of olive oil.
- Score the flank steak’s surface. This means breaking the surface by making cuts on the meat. Make the cuts around ¼ inch deep and 1 inch apart. Always cut across the grain of the flank steak.
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade.
- Place the steak in the marinade. All parts of the steak should be coated with the mixture.
- Put the steak and the marinade in a freezer bag then put these in a bowl. Refrigerate for 2 to 12 hours. The longer you marinate the steak, the more flavor it will absorb.
- Soak a paper towel in olive oil. Apply the oil onto your grill until it is coated. Preheat the grill over direct high heat.
- Remove the steak from the freezer bag. Sprinkle pepper and salt on it. Put the steak on the pre=heated grill. If you are using a gas grill, you need to cover it.
- Cook the flank steak for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Halfway through the cooking process, turn the steak at a 90-degree angle. This will give the flank steak more grill marks.
- The steak is rare if it is a bit squishy. It is well done if it is firm. Ideally, flank steak is best eaten medium rare.
- Once the steak has been cooked, remove it from the grill and place it on a cutting board. Cover it with foil and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the steak into small slices and serve.