Pepper is a vegetable that comes from the fruit of a plant called Capsicum Annuum. It is also called sweet pepper or bell pepper. It is shaped like a bell and can come in several colors, the most common being red, green, and orange. It is made up mostly of firm fleshy skin that holds the seeds inside. The fruit is called paprika in Europe, and is used to create a powdered spice with the same name.
This vegetable can be eaten raw or cooked. It is often added to stir-fried food, pizzas and pasta sauce to provide a crunchy texture. Pepper can be grilled, fried or boiled.
- Decide if you want ripe or unripe pepper. The green ones are not yet mature. Ripe pepper comes in a variety of colors, depending on where they are harvested and cultivated. Some of the rarer species can turn into brown, purple, blue, or white when they are ripe.
- Pick a firm pepper. A pepper that is too soft is overripe. The skin should be smooth and unblemished. It is preferred that the stalk is attached and is still green.
- Rinse the pepper in lukewarm water to remove any dust or dirt.
- Cut off the stalk.
- Cut the pepper open and remove the seeds.
- Slice the pepper into strips. The width depends on the recipe you are using or your preference.
- If you fry or boil the peppers, they will be done in about 2 minutes.
Pepper Recipe: Golden Vegetable Rice
- 1 green pepper;
- 1 red pepper;
- 1 carrot;
- 1 onion;
- 80 grams green beans;
- 80 grams frozen peas;
- 5 medium-sized mushrooms;
- 1 teaspoon turmeric;
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube;
- 225 grams plain white rice; and
- 1 tablespoon oil.
- Wash the vegetables to remove any foreign residue.
- Prepare the peppers by cutting off the stalk and removing the seeds.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Dice the peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and green beans.
- Prepare the carrot by removing the ends and peeling it.
- Heat oil in the saucepan.
- Fry the peppers, carrot, mushroom, beans and peas into the pan for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add rice to the mixture. Fry it for 1 minute.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 500 ml of water to make the stock.
- Add turmeric and stock to the rice. Keep it in heat until it boils.
- Lower the flame. Put a lid on the saucepan and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and leave it for another 5 minutes.
- You will know its ready when all the water has been absorbed.