To draw a dog, you will need the following:
- picture or model of the kind of dog you wish to draw
- sketch pad
- coloring materials
Below are some instructions:
- Before you start, familiarize yourself with the picture or image of the dog that you would like to draw.
- On the sketch pad, draw a rectangle that would be big enough to represent the body of the dog. Make light pencil strokes so that you can erase them when you make the final shapes later.
- The rectangular shapes will serve as the reference point for other parts of the dog’s body. The next part that you will draw is the dog’s head. Do this by drawing a smaller rectangle on the upper left corner of the big rectangle.
- Draw the legs of the dog by sketching two long vertical rectangle blocks on both ends of the big rectangle. The two vertical rectangles will serve as the four legs of your dog.
- Draw a line which would divide the small rectangular shape into two parts. This line will serve as a reference point to draw the finished shape of the head of the dog.
- You can start to draw the ears, eyes, chin, mouth, and nose of the dog.
- When the important parts of the dog’s head are finished, you can add additional features such as hair spikes and whiskers. If you want, you can also add a cute dog collar and name to your dog to personalize your drawing.
- After drawing the head of the dog, connect the small rectangle to the big rectangle by drawing a diagonal line in between them to serve as the neck of the dog. Make sure that you draw a neck that is proportionate to the body of the dog.
- You can add curves and muscles to other parts of the dog’s body to make it more realistic and closer to the breed of dog that you have in mind.
- Add details to the feet of the dog by making the paws clearer and by outlining it with dark pencil.
- Don’t forget to add a tail to the end of the dog’s body.
More articles on How to Draw a Dog
Filed Under: Arts
About the Author: