Everyone has abdominal muscles hiding under the flab, so those great abs are not an impossible dream. There is no shortcut, however, to developing those firm and toned abs. If you want a six-pack, you need to combine a healthy diet with a full body workout. Exercising your abs alone won’t do the trick.
Steps to Get a Six Pack
Here are some proven ways to get rid of belly fat and build the dream six pack:
- Eat properly
- Say goodbye to sweets, alcohol, and carbohydrates that are high in calories. Eat more foods rich in protein, which are the building blocks of muscle. Lean meats like fish, turkey, and chicken, as well as eggs and milk are good sources of protein.
- Cut down on the size of your meals, but eat regularly. You need to keep your metabolism going at a steady rate. Small meals every three hours like a salad or a protein bar will keep your metabolism burning calories and will eventually lead to weight loss.
- Eat smaller dinners, but don’t skip breakfast. You’re not very active after dinner so it’s a good idea to give your body less fat to store at night. However, eat a healthy breakfast so that you won’t feel inclined to devour a big lunch later.
- Drink more water every day. Next time you feel hungry, drink instead. You may just be thirsty. Water aids digestion, too.
Low intensity workouts are exercises done at a moderate pace and maintained for 30-60 minutes. As you breathe hard and your heart rate goes up and you burn fat. Low intensity workouts include walking, running, biking, and swimming.
High intensity workouts involve exercising very hard for brief spurts with quick cool downs in between. Jumping rope for 15-20 minutes provides a full workout.
Sprinting or running at high speeds for a short time is very effective when combined with jogging and running.
There are many recommended exercises that work out your abdominal muscles. These include sit ups and crunches.
- Sit Ups. Lie down with your feet on the floor and your knees up. Place your fingers behind your ears, or cross your hands over your chest. Lift your lower back off the floor along with your shoulder as you sit up. Lower yourself down and repeat.
- Crunches. Lie flat on the floor with your arms crossed in front of your chest. Raise your upper torso through the contraction of your abs. Only your abdominal muscles should be working. Exhale and hold your position briefly. Then inhale and lower your back gently without letting your head touch the floor. Repeat.