ICQ is a computer program that allows users to send and receive instant messages. The name is derived from the phrase ‘I Seek You’. Its first version was released in 1996. It requires users to create user accounts to use the service. The accounts are protected with a user ID and password. To log in to ICQ, you would need to provide these two.
If you lost or forgot your ICQ password, you can recover it in a number of ways:
- resetting your ICQ password online
- recovering your stored ICQ password
- using brute force
Resetting Your ICQ Password Online
- If you forgot your password, you can recover it by going to the ICQ Password page. Enter this URL https://www.icq.com/password/ on to the address field.
- Enter your ICQ number in the assigned field. The site will forward your password to the e-mail account you used when you signed up for ICQ.
- If you forgot your ICQ number too, you must enter some personal information. These are the things you provided when you registered into ICQ. It includes your nickname, first name, family name, and email. This will be used to locate your ICQ number in the directory. Once you have confirmed your identity, your password and ICQ number will be sent to your e-mail address.
Recovering a Stored ICQ Password
There are several ICQ password recovery tools that can be used if the password is stored somewhere in the system where they can be saved or encrypted. Password recovery programs can read encryption. They can search the system and look for the ICQ passwords.
When using these programs, follow the steps used for each. These programs often have easy-to-use graphic user interfaces (GUI). The instructions for using the application can also be found in the developer’s website and the help files found in the software.
It will help to minimize the search if you know the specific folder or directory where the password is saved.
Mounting a Brute Force Attack
It is possible to set up a brute force attack to retrieve an ICQ password. There are manuals that can help you in mounting a brute force attack. However, an automated tool, like IPDbrute, is simpler to use.