BIOS is the Basic Input Output System of the computer. It is the first program that loads in the computer and it enables all the other processes in the system to run. BIOS is present in a number of computers and laptops, including those manufactured by Dell.
Users can install a password in the BIOS so that the minute the program starts, it asks for a security password. This is ideal if several users are using the same computer. The default password is provided by the manufacturer.
Some people want to bypass passwords because they want to open their computers faster. There have also been some cases where the computer asked for a BIOS password that the user doesn’t know anything about. These passwords may also be required to unlock protected hard disks.
It is difficult to bypass the BIOS passwords of Dell computers. You will have to go through a long process before you are able to effectively change the password.
- Start by looking for the 3-pin CMOS password reset jumper, which is located on your system board. This will require you to open up the computer. If you are not confident in your abilities to work on a computer from the inside, then you should hire a professional technician to do this for you.
- Take out your jumper plug from your pins, which are labeled 1 and 2. Insert your plugs on the second and third pins and wait for around five seconds. Return your plugs to the first pin and the second pin.
- The whole process requires you to be familiar with the Dimension User Guide properly. Otherwise, you might get the wrong parts and you might cause some structural damage tinkering with the parts.
- Remove the 3-pin CMOS password jumper from the motherboard. To help you locate this, you can refer to the User Guides included with the computer.
- After removing the password jumper from the first and second pins, put them into second and third pins. Wait for approximately five seconds, then replace them on the first and second pins. You have to be very careful so as not to damage the rest of the system.
- Each system has a different type of jumper plug. Some systems may even require you to replace the security chip of the laptop.