Who would have thought that you could custom design a t-shirt in the comfort of your own home. Well you sure can. The process is called screen printing and though the term may sound complicated it is really simple. Below you will find a step by step guide, follow the instructions and you should be fine.
- T – Shirt
- Gauzy or Transparent Curtain
- Screen Printing Ink or Fabric Ink
- Mod Podge
- Blank Paper
- Watercolor Paints
- Paint Brush
- Sponge Brush
- Embroidery Hoops
- Find or design a unique image that you would like to screen print.
- Stretch the gauzy curtain tightly in between two embroidery hoops to create your screen.
- Adjust until material becomes as firm as the top of a drum.
- Trim the extra material.
- Tape down your design onto a flat surface.
- Center the screen over it.
- Carefully trace your design onto the screen.
- Use the mod podge to cover the areas you do not want printed.
- Allow to dry.
- Test your screen on a blank paper by brushing over it with watercolor paint.
- Correct all mistakes by reapplying mod podge.
- Stretch your t-shirt over a flat surface.
- Place a piece of cardboard between the front and the back.
- Place t he screen where you want to print your design.
- Blot ink all over your image using your sponge brush.
- Allow to dry overnight.
- Start out with simple designs as this will use less ink.
- A Plain T-shirt will show your design better
- For females try using a fitted tank top to make your design fit better.
- Keep your screen for future uses.